There are many ways of making money online and one of them is by writing articles.
Here, I am just going to outline what you need to consider when it comes to earning from writing. Before you dive into the various options for creating online content, think about this first…
Don’t Write for Peanuts
These days, writing for various online markets seems to have lost its charm and demeanor. I’m sure it has a lot to do with the automation that is happening all over the web, whereby articles are created by ‘content mills’ or writing factories, like Yahoo! Voices (formerly Associated Content).
These high production facilities are responsible for churning out reams and reams of second-rate, and often poorly written content, that has little or no value to its readers. Writers are being offered such inadequate amounts to write full length articles – of between $5 and $10 per feature. This is utterly absurd and is not going to encourage the wit and dedication required from a writer to produce an interesting and newsworthy article.
No-one should be paid peanuts for their labors, least of all, in this instance the writers. But, it’s the same in almost any type of industry or job, where those at the sharp end of production – who frequently do the lion’s share of the work – often receive the poorest remuneration. While those further up the ladder benefit the most.
Is Writing for the Web Worthwhile?
Yes, of course it is, but only if you have full control of the editorial content yourself. In other words, you do the writing or get someone you trust implicitly to create great content for you.
Don’t be tempted to outsource for your specialized articles. What does someone who’s only being paid $10 or less for the article know about your subject matter, your style or your wit? Very little, I expect!
Be Your Own Boss
Get off the article purveying treadmill and reclaim control.
Why you should try to write your own articles rather than have them written for you:
- You want the best articles for YOUR site – so write them yourself! You are an expert in your own field, so show your skills and knowledge to your readers!
- There’s no need to spend unnecessary money having someone else write your content, especially if their writing style differs entirely from yours. Your readers may feel a disconnection and lose trust in you as an authority.
- Don’t worry about speed and timing. Just gather your thoughts together, research your topic’s information and write your article with enthusiasm, panache and pride – it will show through to your readers.
- You want to take people on YOUR journey or explain something YOUR way – not that of someone else!
Most importantly, be yourself, enjoy your writing and have fun…
…then we, as readers will be taken on your magical mystery tour – and perhaps want more!
No Need to Devalue Your Writing
If you choose to offer your writing services to clients, don’t devalue yourself. Some writers seem to think that writing for the web means writing for very little money, but that is not necessarily the case.
There are so many online opportunities for a freelance writer, and believe it or not, many of them pay fairly well.
What you need to know before you get involved is:
- how to find the best potential markets
- how to pitch to them properly
- how to deliver your work the most convenient and efficient way
- how to grow relationships and therefore receive an increase in assignments
Follow these few guidelines and you’ll soon have a thriving writing business going.
Better Writing Produces Quality Articles
If you’ve ever had to write and publish an article in a hurry, you may not have proofread or checked it thoroughly beforehand. This is not a good idea as readers are frequently put off by typos and grammatical errors.
I’m sure you’ve landed on a site only to leave quickly because of the poor writing style. It takes just one badly written article on your site to cause a loss in confidence of your visitors, making them leave prematurely. It’s hard enough getting traffic to our sites, so don’t give them any excuses to bounce away too soon.
I like to run my articles through a useful grammar and plagiarism checking tool to be doubly sure that all errors are caught and dealt with. The beauty of this online program is its ability to accurately scrutinize your copy for so many different types of grammatical issues. So if you were never very good at English, not a problem with this program!
What do you think about outsourcing your content? Have you ever earned money from content mills or other sources or been paid a pittance for your hard work? Do comment below and I’ll reply asap.
- Best Amazon WordPress Plugin for eCommerce | WooZone - May 20, 2016
- How To Make Money By Blogging | A Useful Guide - April 8, 2016
- Best Animation Software for Beginners is Fun and Easy to Use! - March 29, 2016
- What Is FileZilla? | Popular FTP Client to Transfer Files - February 29, 2016
- How to Leverage Browser Caching Using .htaccess - February 21, 2016
- How To Back Up A Computer To An External Drive - December 30, 2015
- Powtoon Review: Free Presentation Software - December 15, 2015
- Whiteboard Animation Software is the Secret Ingredient | See Why! - August 16, 2015
- Find The Best External Hard Drive For Data Storage - August 4, 2015