“How to make money online with a website” is a question virtually all marketers have asked themselves at one time or another. Making money online is the lifeblood of the internet, and we all want a piece of it – and why not?
There are some techniques that work and many that don’t. So, how do you know which are which in this dog-eat-dog world of internet marketing?
I want to take you through the basics of being able to earn an online income from your website or websites. But, before we dive into the monetizing of a site and discovering what your visitors really want, we must understand some basic principles of how people behave and interact while on a website.
They are all there for a reason – or more than one! And, you want to capture their attention and help them, rather than frighten them away.
Be Helpful To Visitors – Your Potential Customers
I see so many marketers trying to bully their visitors or customers into submission the minute they arrive on their sites. Those sites often fail the test of being helpful and useful and putting the customer first; that’s why a visitor goes there in the first place, isn’t it?
But, why do I suggest they’re operating bullying tactics?
Because they bombard the visitor with gaudy graphics, popups and more. Even flashy animations – like this can be off-putting on the wrong site – like this one for instance! It’s not related to Making Money On A Computer – or is it in some way?
This type of stuff can frighten all but the casual viewer away, therefore, I recommend using a stealth approach. Be site and niche specific when choosing images and content, it makes for a better user experience.
When we arrive at a site, we are looking for one or more things, and these can be different depending on what site you are visiting.
But, first and foremost we look for certain things such as:
- A question or questions to be answered.
- Helpful advice on the topic/s we have come to find out.
- Captivating content – we want to enjoy our reading experience.
- To learn more on the subject.
- Be entertained by fun stuff, like animation videos.
- A good overall user experience.
What we certainly don’t want is:
- An unhelpful and badly designed site.
- Poorly written content that doesn’t make sense or doesn’t read well.
- Too much distracting stuff, like flashing advertising banners and bad or irrelevant images.
- Non-related content to the particular topic.
- The awful, nasty popups that hound you when you are trying to concentrate on reading content. They chase you and even try to hang on when you have decided to leave the site altogether.
Don’t make your visitors mad or they will never become your customers.
So, How Do You Make Money Online?
#1 – Build A Quality Website
First and foremost, you need to create a website. But, before you can build one, of course you need to either own your own domain or access a domain via a third party to host your domain – like Namecheap, GoDaddy or Hostgator.
I would recommend using the WordPress platform, as it is popular and professional. It also comes with tons of great, free themes to choose from to get you started.
If you don’t know how to build a website, I can recommend the best online affiliate marketing training, which offers you TWO FREE WEBSITES to get you started. It has the most comprehensive training and enthusiastic community you could imagine, and it has made thousands of affiliates very rich – it’s an amazing opportunity!
If you already have a website, get into the shoes of your customer for a moment, go onto your site and say to yourself, “would I follow up or click-through to buy anything here?”
If your answer is no, then you have some work to do, and let’s face it, most of our websites are designed by us and for us – not for others!
What I mean here is that we are all our own masters of design, and think that our sites are super well designed and appealing to all. I hate to tell you, that’s not the case, as design is subjective, and we all have different viewpoints.
What can we do about it?
Well, we can do a a few things to make our sites more appealing by adopting these 3 rules:
- Keep it simple. Tried and tested popular designs tend to work best. Sites don’t have to be flashy in color or have massive background images.
- Invest in a theme. Get hold of a well-designed, responsive theme that can help to boost your site in the popularity stakes. Free themes are free because little or no investment has gone into them – they are often dull and lack functionality. FYI: The best themes come from places like StudioPress, (Genesis Framework), Thesis and Themeforest to name but a few.
- Learn from the pros. Here are a few who I have followed for some time, their sites are super simple but effective: ProBlogger.com, WPBeginner.com, GaryVaynerchuk.com and CopyBlogger.com
By keeping your site free of unnecessary clutter and distractions while using a good theme, all you’ll have to do is produce great content. Now you are on your way to giving your visitors a better experience which means that they will be more likely to stay and engage with your thoughts and writings.
#2 – Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate Marketing is the process whereby you earn a commission by promoting a company’s or individual’s products or services.
Select a product you like, and then promote it to other folks on your website. If they buy, you then earn a small percentage of the profit for every sale made. Commission rates vary from company to company and also quantities sold, therefore selling more can often mean a better percentage.
- It’s good for you because you’ve earned a commission,
- It’s good for the company because they’ve had a new sale from someone they might not have been able to reach,
- It’s good for the customer because they have discovered a product from you that they wanted or needed.
The benefits of affiliate marketing are twofold:
- You don’t have to invest your time and effort into the creation of a product to sell.
- You can start to sell anything as an affiliate as soon as you have a website to sell it from.
I have been doing affiliate marketing here and on my other sites for some time, so if you or anyone else clicks through and purchases via my affiliate links I earn a commission. If you have ever bought from my links before, I would like to thank you so much – your support is greatly appreciated!
Here are some useful links:
- ClickBank – a marketplace of products that you can sell as an affiliate.
- Shareasale – an efficient affiliate marketing network with a great reputation.
- Amazon Associates – the affiliate center for all of Amazon’s products that you can sell as an affiliate.
- Commission Junction – recognized as one of the leaders in affiliate marketing offering top brands.
#3 – Google Adsense
Google AdSense is another way to earn money online. It can be effective, however, do not abuse the system, as your account will be instantly terminated.
How it works:
Google supplies you with a choice of styles of contextual ads that you can strategically place on your website or blog. Each time that ad is clicked on, a small amount of revenue will be earned. Google then keeps some of that revenue and gives you your share as well. The rate you are paid will vary, depending on the keywords on your website that were used to generate the ads.
AdSense also supplies image and video ads through AdWords – see how Adsense works.
There are several ways to monetize websites successfully without upsetting your visitors. Place ads on your pages discreetly, so that they are not in-your-face and annoying.
Personally, I want to be able to read an article on a site without interruption, so don’t mind if the ads are in a sidebar or at the end of the article. But, what I hate are those sites which place Adsense right at the top of the site, or beginning of the article, hoping you are going to click on them first.
Adsense could be considered a bittersweet method of earning online:
- If someone clicks on an ad, you will get a very small amount of revenue – and then most likely lose the visitor, as they will be taken to the ad page.
- With no ad placement on your site, the visitor is more likely to engage in your content, as they can read without disruption. So they are far more likely to click-through or buy.
The choice is yours, and if you can combine the two methods successfully, you’ll have the best of both worlds.
#4 – Selling Your Own Product Online
You don’t have to have a product to sell to be able to make money on the internet, but if you do, then you have another string to your online marketing bow.
Those products can be anything that offer help to your potential customers like an eBook, video or audio tutorial course or some form of software, website theme, plugin, etc.
If you have a website where your niche is, say ‘dog training,‘ then you might want to create a solution to a problem.
- You could create an eBook entitled, “Top 5 Ways To Train Your Dog” or “22 Tips To Improve Your Dog’s Behavior”.
- You could make a video showing techniques of training different breeds of dogs; the pitfalls, problems, and solutions.
You write the content, annotate it with images and make it into a PDF file, and then offer it for sale through your blog with a PayPal buy button.
I call these ‘Smart Strategies’, as following up and taking action is what online marketing is about. The strategies above are SMART because they work – and I know you are SMART because you want to succeed at becoming an internet marketer.
Don’t dither, as fortune really does favor the brave, and the brave are those people who make things happen. Sitting back and thinking, “maybe tomorrow” won’t work, as you know what they say about tomorrow…
Do fire over any questions about any online topic discussed in the article, and I would be happy to answer it or them. Or, if you want to talk about anything else, please comment away and I”ll get back to you with a response shortly.
Thanks for dropping by, it’s appreciated!
- Best Amazon WordPress Plugin for eCommerce | WooZone - May 20, 2016
- How To Make Money By Blogging | A Useful Guide - April 8, 2016
- Best Animation Software for Beginners is Fun and Easy to Use! - March 29, 2016
- What Is FileZilla? | Popular FTP Client to Transfer Files - February 29, 2016
- How to Leverage Browser Caching Using .htaccess - February 21, 2016
- How To Back Up A Computer To An External Drive - December 30, 2015
- Powtoon Review: Free Presentation Software - December 15, 2015
- Whiteboard Animation Software is the Secret Ingredient | See Why! - August 16, 2015
- Find The Best External Hard Drive For Data Storage - August 4, 2015